We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
Fancy a new career in a fast-paced and dynamic workplace? If so, this could be your lucky day!
We’re looking for a Ways of Working Development Manager to join our Operational Excellence team in either Salford Quays, Manchester or Haywards Heath, West Sussex.
At First Central, we have our own unique approach to continuous improvement. We’re on a journey to better ways of working, taking and applying what works from various bodies of knowledge – Lean, Agile and Systems Thinking. Our Ways of Working Development Manager is accountable for significantly raising the impact profile of Operational Excellence, driving thought leadership to see beyond the here and now to design and evolve ‘open source continuous improvement’ (under the umbrella of ‘The First Central Way’); working collaboratively with Senior Leaders and members of the Executive team, using data and facts to identify opportunities to drive the delivery of value, improving flow and quality
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to:
- Drive thought leadership to see beyond the here and now to design and evolve ‘open-source continuous improvement’ (under the umbrella of ‘The First Central Way of Working’)
- Develop the Lean Agile framework - the principles-based guardrails that have their roots across a range of improvement bodies of knowledge, defining patterns for success and measuring the maturity and development of lean agile ways of working
- Building and embedding lean agile capability across the organisation to support the sustainability of an agile enterprise and self-sufficiency within the business.
- Evolving the tools, systems and principles within The First Central Way to ensure they reflect the best known and emerging approaches to solve both the here and now and emerging customer and company problems, drawing on knowledge of best practice across lean, six sigma, systems thinking, agile, kanban, scrum, value flow quality et al.
- Lead improvements in strengthening The First Central Way of continuous improvement through experimentation and adopting the scientific method
- Build and maintain strong, high level collaborative senior relationships, influencing business leaders to progressively adopt a culture of continuous improvement
- Providing thought leadership across the continuous improvement community with the aim to successfully build business-wide CI capabilities, with a strong focus on customer outcomes
- Oversight of the Operational Excellence Academy – ensuring the Operational Excellence syllabus, capability building framework, design standards and supporting materials are fit for purpose and are continuously improved
- Sustaining Lean Competency System accreditation and maintaining accountability for the deployment approach & managing assessments and certification
- Lead Operational Excellence projects as required to achieve defined targets across Cost, Quality and on time Delivery, ensuring there is solid sustainability
- Support the Operational Excellence team in creating a culture of Operational Excellence through coaching and mentoring of colleagues
- Build effective working relationships and influence across all levels of the business, fostering an open and collaborative culture
- Acting as a line manager for allocated Business Improvement Agents
- Ensure compliance with organisational and regulatory procedures to improve risk management and ensure strong audit performance
- Any other reasonable duties as required
Job Specific Competencies:
- Seasoned thought leader in Lean/Six-Sigma / Systems Thinking / Agile / Process Re-engineering/ Continuous Improvement, with a demonstrable track record of being able to effectively apply the theory to practice
- Demonstrable track record of shaping continuous improvement solutions in response to complex customer and business problems (Master Black Belt / LCS level 3 or equivalent experience)
- Experience of establishing a culture of Continuous Improvement, by designing methods and standards and developing internal capability through up-skilling existing people
- Track record of delivering high impact continuous improvement initiatives that have sustained over time
- Strong stakeholder management experience including at Executive level, to ensure differing points of view are brought together to move them forward
- Disciplined with clear plans and excellent execution capability
- Experience in leading people through cultural change
- Critical thinking, analytical and creativity skills in order to provide thought leadership
- People management and project leadership skills, and ability to motivate employees in a high pressurised environment
- Expert technical Continuous Improvement (Lean/Six Sigma / Systems Thinking / Agile) skills with proven track record of delivery
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written
- Strong stakeholder management, influencing and persuasion skills with the ability to overcome objections and negotiate right outcomes
- Self-motivated and able to self-direct
- Solid understanding of lean, six sigma systems thinking and Agile principles, tools and systems
- Strong understanding of the Company objectives and operations
- Good understanding of regulatory requirements specific to the Company and the functions under control
- Customer focused and passionate about the achieving the right customer outcomes
- Commercial awareness and acumen with the ability to plan and deliver profit improvement activities
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- Target driven, and results focused, striving to drive improvements that contribute to the success of the business
- Organised and pro-active approach to tasks, taking initiative to make decisions
- Flexible approach to work and adopts a positive attitude, embracing, embedding and incorporating the Company values
- Drives business improvements that make a demonstrable impact on the success of the business
So, if you’re up for the challenge and would like to join our vibrant and busy team, we want to hear from you today.
We’ve received some great feedback from employees on Glassdoor. Don’t believe us? Check out our reviews for yourself!
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Talent team.