We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
We’re looking for someone to join our Technology and Data Team as a Data Business Analyst in our offices in either Haywards Heath, West Sussex or Salford Quays, Manchester.
The Data Business Analyst is a key role within the Data Services team responsible for capturing, analysing, shaping and delivering data products and services across First Central Group. Working within agile data product teams, the Data Business Analyst will capture and translate high-level business requirements into data specific epics, user stories and wireframes to inform technical design and build activities. The Data Business Analyst will challenge established thinking and stimulate new ideas and approaches towards the effective use of data across our business.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to:
- Demonstrate proven experience of business partnering, consulting and data requirement elicitation.
- Be happy working in a fast paced and constantly evolving organisation, taking ownership and being accountable for delivery.
- Have a passion for delivering valuable data outcomes to your business stakeholders.
- Responsible for developing clear, robust, and accurate data specific user stories and requirements.
- Conducting thorough data business analysis, including challenging perceptions and embedded thinking, to ensure that data requirements move the business forward and achieve outcomes.
- Facilitate workshops and deliver presentations to capture requirements and generate feedback.
- Act as an internal consultant, interpreting user requests and where appropriate, making suggestions for better/alternative ways of obtaining and presenting the required information.
- Create wireframes, mock-ups and POCs as part of the requirements process to validate needs and feasibility.
- Apply agile and lean practices into all aspects of your work, seeking to optimise flow and reduce wait time wherever possible.
- Agree business data definitions as part of the requirement process, that inform both the technical design and support the implementation of the data governance standards.
- Create data mapping artefacts, including definition of transformations required, to inform the design and build process.
- Become a trusted Data SME for the data subject areas and business domains in which you work.
- Work alongside data engineering to quickly address points of clarification, iterate requirements, and facilitate business engagement where necessary.
- Actively support the testing process, ensuring traceability of requirement to solution, and helping to co-ordinate and deliver user acceptance testing.
- Support Business Analysts in other parts of the business around data specific requirements analysis methods and practices.
- Adhere to the Company values at all times and encourage others to demonstrate these.
- Ensure compliance with company and other relevant standards/regulations at all times.
- Any other reasonable duties as required.
Job Specific Competencies:
Qualifications / Experience
- A strong background in data requirement elicitation using agile practices, and broad understanding of data visualisation, data engineering and data governance.
- Experience of planning and facilitating workshops of varying size.
- Experience of influencing and managing stakeholders, with the ability to communicate key messages across multiple areas of the business.
- Experience of analytics platforms such as PowerBI, Tableau, Qliksense etc.
- Experience in creating data user stories as part of agile delivery methods.
- Use of collaboration and agile software management tools such as Confluence, Azure DevOps, Jira.
- Good grounding in agile software change practices, ideally in a data function.
- Versed in functional/non-functional requirements gathering and definition.
- Able to confidently act as interface between delivery / technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, able to build deep trust based relationships with colleagues.
- Strong service focus with a passion for delivering high-quality products to your stakeholders.
- Excellent planning, time management and organisation skills.
- Influential, and a good negotiator.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Outcome focussed and results driven.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- Embraces, embeds, and incorporates the Company values.
- Pro-active, and comfortable taking the initiative.
- Resilient and flexible with the ability to work iteratively.
- A positive attitude with a focus on how outcomes might be achieved
- Focussed on improvement of processes and oneself.
- Desire to work in a fast-growing, fast-paced environment.
- Life-long learning – you have a drive to learn and continually develop your skills and abilities.
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Talent team.