We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
Are you looking for a new career with a fast-growing, dynamic company? Well look no further! We need an Infrastructure Manager to join our Technology and Data team in Salford Quays, Manchester, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, or our offices in Guernsey.
As the Infrastructure Manager you will be responsible for the enterprise infrastructure function delivering the IT Support / Corporate Services, business objectives and implementation of delivering IT Services to meet business infrastructure and platform needs and growth targets. You will create and maintain an optimal, effective, managed, low-risk infrastructure, and your role will ensure continuously improving provision of IT infrastructure to a business that has experienced significant growth and continues to grow. As a leader in IT infrastructure, you will provide both strategic infrastructure vision and tactical service delivery. The role will manage a team of engineers to deliver the day to day delivery of 3rd/4th line Cloud and On-prem Infrastructure BAU support, project delivery and continual improvement to ensure services are resilient, scalable, secure, and assist in the transition of services and knowledge to IT Operations teams.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to:
- Be a strong leader, who shows great strategic thinking.
- Have experience of Infrastructure Administration, including windows, web and database servers, telephony solutions, network design and management of 3rd party providers.
- Possess excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Azure and other cloud platform service.
- Provide Infrastructure services in all areas needed: storage, networking, load balancing, operating Systems, network security, directory services, server virtualization, system backup and restore, system and network monitoring via SNMP.
- Standard system administration duties including server install, System/Application install and patch management, Windows problem determination and resolution, log analysis, etc.
- Create and maintain comprehensive documentation as it relates to desktop and network topology, equipment, and configuration(s).
- Level 3/4 support for problems identified with systems and network.
- Working with the Head of Infrastructure to provide future strategies across Infrastructure.
- Responsible for the creation, maintenance, testing, and execution of the Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Create, request, and present technical specifications and requirements for purchasing of new technology hardware and software via quote procedure.
- Participate in after-hours upgrades, and act as an escalation point as required.
- Put in place and operate daily processes to ensure that the Group Application Infrastructure is operating as required and as expected.
- Provide input into the service level reporting required across the Group applications.
- Provide problem management identification and root cause remediation.
- Provide capacity monitoring planning across the Group Application Infrastructure.
Support the Head of Infrastructure in planning changes to Group Applications in terms of infrastructure changes and capacity.
- Suggest improvements both to the service delivery processes and the group application infrastructure as they become apparent.
- Duplicated below Responsibility for maintaining department risk registers (as applicable), providing evidence and commentary for controls, updates for Mitigation.
- Actions and maintaining control matrices and Attestations. Also, to ensure that your employees are aware of their responsibility to identify and report risk.
- Own the Infrastructure Continual Service Improvement Plan (CSIP) providing tracking and evidence as required.
- Support in Audit management (external and internal) to ensure audit actions are resolved on time.
- Ability to identify no value/ low value items and remove these work streams via automation or root cause analysis resolution.
- Manage workflow and priorities across technical projects.
- Manage team workloads to ensure optimum efficiency.
- Provide the team with high-quality and empowering leadership, setting, and delivering the highest service standards and a strong performance culture by developing and sustaining best practice.
- Working closely & maintaining strong stakeholder management skills up to senior level.
- Provide management reports on status and identify blockers and solutions.
- Work with suppliers to shape the services we want to consume and hand over to the service delivery team read of SLA and OLA wrapping.
- Management of the MS Azure, AAD, 365 SaaS environments.
- Knowledge of other cloud solutions such as AWS
- Liaising with core delivery teams across technology, change and business teams.
- Management of both test and production systems and environments.
- Troubleshoot system and network problems, diagnosing and solving hardware or software faults.
- Support & manage the implementation of new services from suppliers and internal teams.
- Prioritise and manage ticket management to ensure SLA’s are adhered too.
- Work closely with the Information Security, Cyber and Data Protection Office teams to ensure Infrastructure remains secure and compliant.
- Collaborate with the Architecture, Development, Project Management, Service Management and business units to ensure that Infrastructure is considered in the end-to-end delivery of projects.
- Test and evaluate new technology.
- Support the Head of Infrastructure in the formation and creation of a 5-year strategy for the Infrastructure estate.
- Ensure our supplier governance controls are in place and delivered too.
- Responsible for Infrastructure expenditure and budgets
- Conduct team appraisals, development planning, resource planning and coaching, support, and deputise for, the Head of Infrastructure as required.
- Comply with the requirements, and act in accordance with, the Group Code of Conduct and Fitness and Propriety policies at all times.
- Ensure compliance with Company Policies, Values and guidelines and other relevant standards/ regulations at all times.
- Any other reasonable duties.
Experience & knowledge
- Good experience of Infrastructure Administration, including windows, web and database servers, telephony solutions, network design and management of 3rd party providers.
- Good experience of availability management and backup systems.
- Demonstrable experience of application support and support processes
- Understanding of technology and technical architectures
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Azure and other cloud platform service.
- Strong administration of Office 365.
- Knowledge of and experience of general insurance business
- Strong knowledge of IT security best practices, regulation and law, applying this knowledge from conception to delivery
- 3+ years of experience in a management/team lead function
- 5+ years of experience in the IT industry
- Strong organisational and planning skills
- Broad understanding of infrastructure technologies installation and design
- Experience in developing and implementing KPI’s to monitor team performance
- Results and customer focused
Skills & Qualifications
- Strong administration of Windows Servers.
- Strong knowledge in telephony, networking, switches, firewall management.
- Preferably Microsoft Azure certified (i.e.. AZ104)
- Exceptional leadership and coaching skills.
- Reasonable administration of IIS and SQL SERVER.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills .
- Strong written and verbal skills with the ability to present information to all audiences in an efficient and understandable manner.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of service delivery frameworks, in particular ITIL, and project delivery frameworks.
- Knowledge of service level and operational level agreements.
- Understanding of a service-based approach to technology, including component, service oriented and event driven architectures.
- Experience representing your team/technical area to senior management.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- An organised and pro-active approach.
- Actively invests in personal development.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- A flexible approach and positive attitude.
- Emphasis on attention to detail and accuracy.
- Takes initiative to make decisions.
- Strives to drive business improvements to contribute to the success of the business.
- Ability to present to Senior managers, and Executives .
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide a weekly free fruit delivery, discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.
If this job sounds like the role you're looking for, apply today!
We pride ourselves on being a great place to work. Check out our Glassdoor page to see what our employees think about working here.