We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Technical Underwriting Manager to join our Underwriting team in Haywards Heath, West Sussex or Salford Quays, Manchester.
Lead the Underwriting function to deliver market-leading analytics and insight to build, set and drive the iterative optimization of the FCG underwriting footprint. Manage the ongoing monitoring of underwriting performance, to support the delivery of the profit and volume targets for the business. Engage with the wider business to ensure trends and operational changes are reflected in underwriting approach.
- Design a future-proofed underwriting footprint framework and structure
- Specify data mapping requirements from PCW and direct websites to enable market-leading underwriting footprint monitoring and application fraud management techniques
- Engage with product development team to design policy coverage/limits that are advantageous to competitive PCW pricing
- Support the appraisal of external geographic dataset providers and provide recommendations on partnering decisions
- Design automated processes for profile and mix monitoring/control
- Collaborate with claims team to establish working assumptions regarding average frequency and severity of claims per peril
- Collaborate with pricing colleagues to establish protective pricing loads
- Design relevant MI for account management and underwriting performance monitoring
- In collaboration with technical and retail pricing, monitor sales mix, iterate underwriting rules to manage concentration risk
- Recruit team of analysts to analyse emerging underwriting performance and ongoing iteration of the underwriting footprint
- Establish a programme of continuous improvement in burning cost modelling and data enrichment reflecting emerging technology and claims trends
- Engage with reinsurance purchasing process and optimise competitive footprint for programme efficiency
- Comply with the requirements, and act in accordance with, the Group Code of Conduct and Fitness and Propriety policies at all times
- Ensure compliance with Company Policies, Values and guidelines and other relevant standards/ regulations at all times
- Responsible for review and updates of the Underwriting control framework and environment; and ensures compliance with regulatory rules and requirements
- Technical and Market Developments - Actively lead the Underwriting team on external and internal technical and market developments, which may impact on policy wordings and underwriting risk management.
- External Insight – Proactively review and monitor the external market place undertaking ongoing competitor insight to enable informed recommendations can be made to the GI Board on the strategic direction of the business.
- Representation - Ensure that the Underwriting function at FCG is represented in all technical matters with regulatory and other market bodies and other insurers
- Any other reasonable duties
Experience & knowledge
- Excellent numerical mathematical skills. Degree in a mathematics related discipline or evidence of equivalent proficiency.
- Coaching and development skills.
- Detailed understanding of appropriate statistical techniques for insurance risk analysis
- Proven ability to plan and prioritise own work and the work of others.
- Ability to grasp the significance and meaning of a range of technical and complex issues relating to underwriting, claims handling, pricing, reserving and financial analysis of insurance.
- Strong financial analysis and modelling skills.
- Advanced level knowledge of products such as Excel, Visual Basic, SAS, R, H2O, Java, Python, SQL, Emblem and geographic analysis tools.
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines whilst maintaining reliability and accuracy.
- Excellent appreciation of General Insurance, preferably personal lines insurance
- Excellent interpersonal skills for interacting with people at all management levels, both internally and externally:
- Communication skills: the ability to engage with technical specialists and layman equally well
- Relationship building skills: the ability to create and maintain a network of important contacts.
- Leadership and influencing skills: the ability to gain trust and co-operation
- Excellent coaching, development and management skills.
- Inventive thinker who is flexible, tenacious with problems and able to create workable alternatives.
- Data literate; knows what data and analysis to ask for; ensures that viable decisions and actions are likely outcomes
- Good project management experience, ideally in an Agile environment.
- Aligned to the values of Ambition; Agility; Ownership; Collaboration
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
Fantastic training and development opportunities
Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
A health cash plan
Help with travel expenses
The opportunity to buy additional holiday
Company pension scheme
Group life assurance
Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide a weekly free fruit delivery, discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.
If you’d like to work for an award-winning employer in a fast-paced environment, apply now.
Want to know what it’s really like to work at First Central? Take a look at our Glassdoor reviews.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working during the recruitment process .