We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
We’re on the hunt for a talented Legal Counsel to join our Legal team in our Haywards Heath, West Sussex or Salford Quays, Manchester office.
This role will support smooth day to day running of the Group Legal function. You will be assisting the Group Legal Director and Senior Legal Counsel and will work in collaboration with other legal colleagues. Travel to other companies within the Group or other Group business sites in Guernsey, Gibraltar and Manchester may occasionally be required.
Although based in Haywards Heath this role will be a hybrid position, so will be a mixture of office based and working from home.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need:
- To be a Qualified Lawyer
- Experience in either Insurance or a Commercial setting
- 1-3 years PQE
- To be primarily responsible for advising stakeholders on legal matters.
- Overseeing the maintenance of the Group’s Contracts Register, Intellectual Property, Legal Calendar, Legal Issues Register and day to day transaction records.
- Completing thorough research and writing the quarterly “Legal Bulletin” and Claims Briefing and supporting the Group Legal Director in drafting advice notes to the Group and its subsidiary companies.
- Conducting legal research and providing advice in a range of legal matters as and when requested by subsidiary companies and departments.
- Advising on regulatory issues, particularly, FCA, Gibraltar Financial Services and Guernsey Financial servicers matters.
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a range of commercial contracts.
- Advising upon matters of general company law
- Providing final legal sign off to contracts of a value no greater than £125k. Providing sign off for other contracts only when expressly permitted by the Group Legal Director.
- Assisting in drafting insurance policy wordings for motor and ancillary policies.
- Assisting in drafting company policies and procedures and completing legal research to ensure these are in line with legislation from the relevant jurisdictions.
- Liaising with stakeholders for relevant documentation and completed Contract Proposal forms and maintaining an accessible filing system for these documents.
- Managing and maintaining the companies’ County Court decisions log, liaising with the Courts for updates and information and ensuring the relevant paperwork is completed in respect of any litigation.
- Engaging with the relevant departments to manage risks related to County Court Judgments and working to reduce impact to credit rating reports.
- Handling bailiffs, following established procedure, and communicating with relevant departments.
- Ensuring personal compliance with corporate policies and rules, and other relevant standards/ regulations at all times.
- Any other reasonable duties as required.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Experience of working as a lawyer in an in-house and / or private practice capacity, ideally with insurance experience between 1-3 years PQE
- Qualified Lawyer (Solicitor or Barrister) or equivalent
- Experience of working in the general insurance industry or in commercial settings is preferable
- Knowledge of legal and/or corporate governance processes
- Working in a regulatory environment
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Problem solving skills with the ability to translate problems and find resolutions
- Good organisational skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Good numeracy and literacy skills
- Good IT and software skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Demonstrable legal research skills
- Resilient to challenge from senior levels whilst building and maintaining relationships
- Capacity and credibility to assess risk
- Overview knowledge of relevant legislation (i.e. Companies Act, Data Protection Act, GDPR, FCA rules)
- Some knowledge of risk management techniques
- Emphasis on attention to detail and accuracy
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- Embrace, embed and incorporate the Company Values
- An organised and proactive approach
- Takes initiative to make decisions
- A flexible approach and positive attitude
- Approachable and keen to help others
- Confident in presenting complex information in a clear and concise manner
- Strives to deliver performance targets and drive business improvements to contribute to the success of the business
- Ability to handle information in a confidential manner
If you’d like to work for an award-winning employer in a fast-paced environment, apply now!
We pride ourselves on being a great place to work. Check out our Glassdoor page to see what our employees think about working here.
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.