We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an innovative, market-leading insurance company. We protect the things customers love so they can get on with what matters to them in life.
Data drives us. It fuels our outstanding distribution, finance, technology and legal services. Our underwriting skills built on data expertise; it creates the insights we need to give the right cover to the right customers at the right price. But, it’s the people inside and outside our business that power us. They make us stand out, help us succeed. We’re ambitious. We’re growing. We’ve won awards.
Ambitious team players can make their mark here ... Sound like you? You'll fit right in.
If you see opportunities where others see obstacles, you’re our kind of people! We've got an exciting opportunity for a Senior Legal Counsel to join the team on a hybrid basis, you'll spend the majority of your time working from home, and meet one day a week at the office, of course, its your choice - if you prefer to be in the office more - that's good with us too. Location is flexible, as long as you live a commutable journey from either our Salford Quays, Manchester or Haywards Heath, West Sussex offices.
Providing expert legal advice to the Group, a bonus if you know about Insurance / reinsurance, you'll support senior stakeholders in the business. With an expertise in insurance distribution (in context of both broker and insurer), you'll advise on delegated insurance arrangements and distribution deals, providing end-to-end legal support in Insurance products, policies, complex claims queries, IDD and related governance, TOBAs, profit commissions, Quota Share and Solvency II/regulatory capital management.
When you're not advising on Company law and broader corporate matters, you'll be undertaking research, reviewing, updating and drafting a wide variety of insurance-based agreements (both regulated and non-regulated) ensuring they're in line with legislation and compliance from the relevant jurisdictions.
Travel to other sites within the Group in Guernsey, Gibraltar, West Sussex and Manchester may occasionally be required.
You’ll be the perfect match for us if:
- you're a Qualified Lawyer, Solicitor or Barrister or equivalent with circa 3-5 years’ PQE
- you're working as an in house lawyer or private practice capacity with insurance/reinsurance as the tools of your trade
- you're great at managing stakeholders
- To be primarily responsible for advising all levels of stakeholders Group-wide on legal and quasi-legal matters.
- Specific expertise in insurance distribution in the context of both broker and insurer, including:
- Advising on delegated insurance arrangements and distribution deals
- Working closely with key business stakeholders including Underwriting, Finance, Tax, and Claims teams
- Providing end-to-end legal support in relation to the distribution of the Group’s insurance products through a variety of delegated and distribution arrangements and policies and advising on complex claims queries. This includes work to design and evaluate new underwriting products and distribution opportunities and supporting broker and distribution ancillary activities including consumer lending
- Managing all legal issues arising out of and providing expert advice on product distribution, reinsurance relationships, IDD and related governance, TOBAs, profit commissions, Quota Share and Solvency II/regulatory capital management
- Drafting a wide variety of insurance-based agreements (both regulated and non-regulated)
- Being primarily responsible for and manage the progress of and provision of advice in respect of challenges from regulatory or quasi-regulatory bodies such as HMRC and any non-UK financial services regulatory body
- Oversee and assist in the maintenance of the Group’s Contracts Register, Intellectual Property, Litigation Register and support with the production of an annual Legal Status Report for Group Audit Committee
- To deputise for the Head(s) of Legal and/or Group Legal Director by attending meetings from time to time as required.
- Conducting thorough research and drafting advice on a range of matters for Group companies.
- Provide guidance and support to the Group in corporate legal matters, structuring and corporate projects.
- Maintain the Legal Calendar and the Legal Matters Register.
- Engaging with and supporting the development of a range of Legal Operations improvements as part of the Legal Transformation Project
- Advise on regulatory issues, particularly on FCA (and PRA so far as is required), Gibraltar Financial Services Commission and Guernsey Financial Services Commission matters.
- Review and draft a range of commercial contracts including Material Outsource agreements.
- Advise upon matters of Company law and broader corporate matters.
- Draft insurance policy wordings for motor and ancillary policies.
- Draft company policies and procedures, and complete legal research to ensure they are in line with legislation from the relevant jurisdictions.
- Run contract checks for required contract updates, renewals or redrafting and implications following company change and development and assist in actioning those requirements.
- Liaise with the stakeholders for relevant documentation and completed internal documentation and maintain an accessible filing system for these documents.
- Manage and maintain the companies’ County Court decisions log, liaise with the Courts for updates and information and ensure the relevant documentation / filings are completed for any litigation.
- Engage with the relevant departments to manage risks related to County Court Judgments, and work to reduce impact to credit rating reports.
- Work in conjunction with the Head of Legal and Group Legal Director in dealing with legal and regulatory issues as required.
- To ensure personal compliance with corporate policies and rules, and other relevant standards/ regulations at all times.
- To supervise, support and mentor more junior team members and work collaboratively across the business.
- To be fully aware of the Company’s Health & Safety Policy.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Significant experience of working as a lawyer in an in-house and / or private practice capacity with significant experience in insurance/reinsurance
- Qualified Lawyer (Solicitor or Barrister) or equivalent with circa 5 years’ PQE
- Strong experience of working in a regulated environment
- Knowledge of legal and corporate governance processes
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to ‘manage up’ and deliver to stakeholders at the most senior levels
- Problem solving skills with the ability to translate problems and find solutions.
- Good organisational skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Good numeracy and literacy skills.
- Good IT and software skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrable legal research skills.
- People Management & Mentoring aptitude / experience
- Resilient to challenge from senior levels whilst developing strong internal relationships at all levels.
- Ability to assess and advise upon legal risks.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and regulation
- Business acumen
- Understanding of risk management techniques.
- Emphasis on attention to detail and accuracy.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- Embrace, embed and incorporate the Company Values.
- An organised and proactive approach.
- Takes initiative to make decisions.
- A flexible approach and positive attitude.
- Approachable and keen to help others.
- Confident in presenting complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Strives to deliver performance targets and drive business improvements to contribute to the success of the business.
- Ability to handle information in a confidential manner.
- Continuous Improvement / Growth Mindset
Together, we work hard… (and play hard!) this is what gives us that spark, that energy, that get up and go.
So if you like how we roll, and your ready for anything ... click apply
What can we do for you?
People first. Always. We’re passionate about our colleagues and know the best people deserve an extraordinary working environment. We owe it to them so that’s what we offer. Our workplaces are energetic, inspirational, supportive. To get a taste of the advantages you’ll enjoy, take a look at all our perks in full here.
Intrigued? Our Talent team can tell you everything you need to know about what we want and what we’re offering, so feel free to get in touch.