We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Data and Analytics Apprentice to join our Technology and Data team in either Salford Quays, Manchester, or our offices in Haywards Heath, West Sussex.
This is an exciting opportunity to work as a Data and Analytics Apprentice at First Central where you will gain a broad range of data experiences and skills across all parts of the data profession, covering data requirements gathering, data engineering, data governance, data visualisation and data science. You will work towards, over a 3.5 year time frame, an Advanced Data Fellow study, receiving on completion a Level 4 Apprenticeship in Data and Analytics, and a Level 6 BSc (Hons) Degree in Digital and Technology Solutions (Data Analytics) qualification.
You will spending time on placement in all Data and Analytics disciplines, and will work alongside the team supporting with day to day tasks learning how First Central prepares and uses data to make great decisions. As your knowledge and skills increase over the duration of the scheme you will have opportunities to work on key projects and initiatives and potentially lead some of our ideas yourself.
As part of the apprenticeship you will be expected to fully commit to your studies and engage in workshops, and a mix of face to face sessions with our apprentice training provider.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to:
- Have an interest and some experience in coding languages such as Python or a general interest in Math's, Science or Technology.
- A passion for learning and be able to learn and adopt new concepts and ideas.
- A keen interest in the use of data or technology.
As a working student your primary focus is to complete your studies by learning and developing your skills, knowledge and behaviors to work towards successful graduation. You will be set objectives and goals by your training provider and each of your placement managers to support your studies. On a placement rotation basis, you will be expected to:
- Business Operations: Carry out operational activities associated with the efficient running of a large data department, such as communication, risk management, finance, resource management.
- Data Visualisation and Reporting: With support from more experienced colleagues, create Power BI dashboards and reports that help our colleagues make informed decisions.
- Data Engineering: Develop low to mid complexity data processes from a variety of internal and external data sources using technologies such as SQL, Azure, Python.
- Data Engineering: Support the design and implementation of data models in databases and data lakes.
- Data Governance: Carry out data quality assessments and support the operation of Data Governance process that ensure FCG cares and uses its data legally and ethically.
- Data Science: Support Data Science teams in creating models and analysis that help automate decisions and identify new business opportunities.
- Data Requirements Analysis: Work with colleagues in our business pillars to capture and document data requirements, creating user stories that describe what our data engineering teams need to build.
- Data Project Management: Support the Product Owner and Scrum Master in managing the on-time delivery of a set of Data projects and initiatives.
- Other reasonable duties as required.
Experience & knowledge
- Good Microsoft Office skills.
- An interest and any relevant experience in coding languages such as Python or a general interest in Maths, Science or Technology.
- Experience of being able to learn and adopt new concepts and ideas.
- Keen interest in the use of data or technology.
Skills & Qualifications
- 5 GCSEs including 1 STEM, Maths and English C/4 or above / equivalent.
- 2 A Levels or equivalent.
- Good communicator with different types of people
- Proactive and energetic.
- Hungry to learn and not afraid to ask for help.
- Collaborative approach and enjoys working with others
- Ability to work independently with the drive to complete tasks and activities.
- Good problem solver.
- Very good time management and organisation skills.
- Able to follow standards and designs, ensuring their work is of high quality.
- Attention to detail.
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide a weekly free fruit delivery, discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.