We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an innovative, market-leading insurance company. We protect the things customers love so they can get on with what matters to them in life.
Data drives us. It fuels our outstanding distribution, finance, technology and legal services. Our underwriting skills are built on data expertise; it creates the insights we need to give the right cover to the right customers at the right price. But, it’s the people inside and outside our business that power us. They make us stand out, help us succeed. We’re ambitious. We’re growing. We’ve won awards.
Our finance team in Haywards Heath, West Sussex needs an organised, conscientious and focused Group Accountant. You’ll be with us until the end of September 2024 on a fixed term contract sharing your expertise on all things financial. Could you fit the bill?
Driving the development and execution of the Group financial and regulatory accounting function, you’ll make sure all business or regulatory changes are in hand. Preparing balance sheet reconciliations, schedules and notes, you’ll tell the story behind the figures ensuring the monthly and annual account represents a true and fair view of First Central’s performance.
Working flexibly, you'll spend most of your time working from home, with a day a week in the office. But of course, it’s your choice - if you prefer to be in the office more - that's good with us too.
You’ll be the perfect person for us if:
You’re an ACCA / ACA or CIMA Qualified accountant
Insurance accounting or audit experience across multiple tax jurisdiction is in your toolkit
Solvency II, analytical skills and ability to drive process improvement, based upon analysis of data is one of your strengths
If you've an agile approach and quick to react to changes within business, can delivers results, flexible and have an empathetic approach to get the best out of a wide range of stakeholders - we want to hear from you!
- Completion of month end close process within the outlined timetable in a controlled and accurate manner
- Ensure appropriate financial risk management across the function through proportionate controls and oversight of all allocated tasks
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations, schedules and notes to ensure the monthly and annual accounts represent a true and fair view of the business performance
- Perform analytical review of balance sheet items to ensure business performance is appropriately reflected in the Group and subsidiaries financial statements
- Investigation of reconciliation deficiencies, ensuring appropriate escalation and business engagement is achieved
- Ensure all broking, insurance and reinsurance activities are accounted for appropriately
- Preparation and management of monthly accruals, prepayments and fixed assets
- Preparation and monitoring effectiveness of accounting provisions and deferrals, including insurance specific items
- Preparation of monthly management accounts including analytical review
- Preparation of the Group’s annual financial reporting including financial statements, Board papers and any other reporting as required
- Assist the Group auditors to ensure that the year-end audit process runs smoothly
- Maintain excellent working knowledge of applicable UK GAAP accounting policies
- Preparation of accounting memos and discussion papers relating to the commercial and operating activity of the Group
- Preparation of regulatory returns, intercompany settlements, external bordereau and any other reporting as required
- Adherence to the Group accounting policies
- Drive and support process improvements across the function, including system developments, strengthening of controls, documentation and efficiencies
- Support and develop relationships with the function’s internal and external stakeholders
- Support activities in other finance teams as required
- Ensure second line financial reconciliation activities are both efficient and effective with FCG
- Conduct colleague management duties including:
- Delivering coaching and feedback to direct reports to achieve KPI’s and SLA’s, and conducting regular performance reviews, including probationary reviews and annual appraisals as necessary
- Deal with all colleague issues including monitoring absence and conducting disciplinaries
- Assisting the recruitment process
- Maintain department risk registers (as applicable), providing evidence and commentary for controls, updates for Mitigation Actions and maintaining control matrices and attestations. Also, to ensure that your team are aware of their responsibility to identify and report risk
- Comply with the requirements, and act in accordance with, the Group Code of Conduct and Fitness and Propriety policies at all times
- Ensure compliance with Company Policies, Values and guidelines and other relevant standards/ regulations at all times
Experience & knowledge
- Experience in a group accounting function or audit experience across multiple tax jurisdictions
- Previous experience in a regulated group, financial services (desirable)
Skills & Qualifications
- Qualified accountant ACCA / ACA or CIMA
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Good time management and organisation skills
- Proficient in Microsoft applications, in particular Excel
- Strong mathematical, analytical & communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and ability to drive process improvement, based upon analysis of data
- Work effectively under pressure and think clearly and logically in challenging situations
If you think you can bring the skills to this role, the team and business and want to work for a collaborative, fast-paced and fun organisation, then apply today!
What can we do for you?
People first. Always. We’re passionate about our colleagues and know the best people deserve an extraordinary working environment. We owe it to them so that’s what we offer. Our workplaces are energetic, inspirational, supportive. To get a taste of the advantages you’ll enjoy, take a look at all our perks in full here.
Intrigued? Our Talent team can tell you everything you need to know about what we want and what we’re offering, so feel free to get in touch.