We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an innovative, market-leading insurance company. We protect the things customers love so they can get on with what matters to them in life.
Data drives us. It fuels our outstanding distribution, finance, technology and legal services. Our underwriting skills are built on data expertise; it creates the insights we need to give the right cover to the right customers at the right price. But, it’s the people inside and outside our business that power us. They make us stand out, help us succeed. We’re ambitious. We’re growing. We’ve won awards.
We love data. No, really we do. And that’s ok. We recognise data drives our business, but our real power comes from us, the people.
Our Technology and Data team need a result driven, agile and logical thinking DBA, who knows a thing or two about MS SQL Server Technology Stack and T-SQL. Ideally, you’ll have been involved in database schema design and some exposure to performance tuning, if you've Azure Fundamentals and/or Azure Data Fundamentals certification, all the better!
Joining a busy team within the Data Operations business pillar and inside the Data as a Service (Daas) team, you'll support our core platform database estate and be responsible for managing and providing assistance to all aspects of our database landscape, working closely with colleagues to design, build and manage our database solutions. The estate consists of both stand alone and Windows Server Failover Cluster builds, with SQL Server Always On technology providing a further layer of High Availability.
You’ll not just offer a basic solution, you’ll find improvements to current processes and seek to implement Best Practice, document systems and workarounds and latest versions of SQL. With strong understanding and experience of T-SQL, and the SQL Server technology stack (including the Database Engine, SSRS and SSIS), and SQL Server in MS Azure, you'll have a proven track record of supporting business critical databases and infrastructure in a large corporate environment. This role requires you to work out of hours during releases when needed.
Ideally you'll live a commutable distance from our offices in Salford Quays, Manchester or Haywards heath, West Sussex, but dont worry if you dont - we're open to home workers!
We’re big on flexible working, so you'll spend the majority of your time working from home with a visit to the office when required (about 1 in 6 weeks). But of course, it’s your choice - if you prefer to be in the office more - that's good with us too.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to:
- Be confident taking ownership of SQL and database related tasks.
- Possess experience working with MS-SQL and T-SQL from SQL 2008 through to 2019.
- Be confident and enthusiastic, willing to offer innovative solutions that will assist with our continued success.
- Have intermediate experience working with the available SQL Server HA and DR available technologies.
- Have an outstanding and enthusiastic attitude - will push the boundaries and develop best of breed solutions to contribute to our success.
- Be proactive and passionate about all things data and SQL Server.
Love Data? It's a match
- Proficient with MS-SQL and T-SQL tools.
- Proficient with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or above.
- Proficient with Microsoft SQL Server Integration options
- Intermediate experience troubleshooting and resolving database problems.
- Intermediate experience implementing and managing backup and recovery processes.
- Some experience managing coding standards, security and auditing procedures.
- Some experience managing monitoring/ proactive alerting processes.
- Intermediate experience with root cause analysis, database performance monitoring and capacity planning.
- Ensure all database systems meet business and performance requirements.
- Ability to work towards strict deadlines within a busy, high transactional environment.
- Assist with SQL code reviews and implementation of performance improvements.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent time management and coordinating skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Comply with the requirements, and act in accordance with, the Group Code of Conduct and Fitness and Propriety policies at all times.
- Ensure compliance with Company Policies, Values and guidelines and other relevant standards/ regulations at all times.
Experience & knowledge
- Intermediate T-SQL.
- Understanding of DEVOPS principles and how such can be implemented.
- Intermediate experience of source control technologies and application of such, such as Azure DEVOPS.
- Intermediate understanding of SSIS, SSRS and SSAS components, installation, maintenance and security.
- An intermediate understanding of the different levels of DB security and interaction with Active Directory.
- An understanding of GDPR and how it relates to the database world.
- Power BI exposure (desirable).
- Office 365 (essential).
- An understanding of Data Warehousing concepts and support would be useful.
- A level of exposure and intermediate experience of SQL upgrade paths.
- Intermediate experience with performance tuning / index maintenance / index creation / statistics maintenance.
- Some experience of the configuration and use of SQL Server backups (types / implementation / use).
- Some experience of the configuration and use of SQL Server replication (transactional and snapshot).
- Some experience of the configuration and use of SQL Server Always on and Windows / SQL Server clustering.
- An understanding of Blocking / Locking / Deadlocks – how to monitor and overcome.
- Environment baselining and load testing.
- Exposure to The RedGate SQL Toolset/ SSMS 18.xxx / Quest Spotlight | Replication Monitor and other industry standard monitoring tools.
- An understanding of and some exposure to SQL Server auditing / encryption / vulnerability assessments / data classification / Query Store etc.
- Creation and use of DACPAC and BACPACs.
- An appreciation of and willingness to learn SQL Azure PAAS and IAAS database solutions.
- Support out of hours and on-call workloads.
- Understand, maintain and recommend suitable SQL environment RTOs and RPOs.
- Exposure to table partitioning techniques within SQL Server
- Server and storage management knowledge and experience.
- Networking Knowledge. (desirable).
- Data governance. (desirable).
- Experience working with XML data types and large objects.
- Experience working within an agile development environment.
- Experience with Atlassian Confluence Team foundation Server (TFS). (desirable)
Skills & Qualifications
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Good time management and organisation skills.
- MCSE: Data Platform or equivalent.
- A degree in computer science or a similar subject area (desirable)
- Have relevant and current experience as a production DBA supporting multiple instances (3-4 years’ experience working with the MS SQL Server Technology Stack)
- Willing to learn and build on their professional development, and keep pace with industry trends within the SQL Server, to enable effective support of the business.
- Be an active member of the wider SQL community (desirable)
- Industry recognised Change and Project Management certifications (ITIL, Prince2 etc desirable)
- Azure Fundamentals and/or Azure Data Fundamentals certification or willingness to obtain such.
- Commercially focussed and results driven.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- An organised and proactive approach.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- A flexible approach and positive attitude.
- Strives to drive business improvements to contribute to the success of the business.
This is just the start. Imagine where you could end up! The journey’s yours…
Want to know more? Sounds like you? Then click on Apply.
What can we do for you?
People first. Always. We’re passionate about our colleagues and know the best people deserve an extraordinary working environment. We owe it to them so that’s what we offer. Our workplaces are energetic, inspirational, supportive. To get a taste of the advantages you’ll enjoy, take a look at all our perks in full here.
Intrigued? Our Talent team can tell you everything you need to know about what we want and what we’re offering, so feel free to get in touch.