We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an innovative, market-leading insurance company. We protect the things customers love so they can get on with what matters to them in life.
Data drives us. It fuels our outstanding distribution, finance, technology and legal services. Our underwriting skills are built on data expertise; it creates the insights we need to give the right cover to the right customers at the right price. But, it’s the people inside and outside our business that power us. They make us stand out, help us succeed. We’re ambitious. We’re growing. We’ve won awards.
Do you have Underwriting or Product Management experience? Are you a great communicator? Are you able to respond to market changes with ease? If so, we need you!
We’re looking for someone to join our Underwriting team as a Senior Technical Underwriter either working remotely or based in either our Salford Quays, Manchester or Haywards Heath, West Sussex offices.
The Underwriting & Assurance Team are tasked with using analytics and insight to drive the ongoing optimization of the First Central Group underwriting footprint. They monitor underwriting and pricing performance to support the delivery of profit and volume targets for the business, as well as owning First Central Group’s Underwriting Control Framework and ensuring regulatory compliance for the FCG Pricing and UW functions.
In this role you’ll be the subject matter expert on Home Insurance Underwriting, providing UW, Regulatory, and TCF input and guidance into the analytical work of the team and own, review, and update FCG’s UW control framework, Technical Policy Wordings, and other product management documentation.
You’ll be great in this role if you have:
- Experience of Underwriting or product management in Personal Lines insurance, preferably Home
- Great communication and stakeholder management skills
- Technical underwriting expertise
- The ability to respond to market and regulatory changes
- Provide technical underwriting input to the analytical/project work of the UW and Assurance Team and wider pricing department, ensuring regulatory compliance, TCF, and traditional UW principles are considered and where appropriate enforced – particularly in relation to:
- Relaxation of, or introduction of, UW criteria
- Use of data; specifically potentially sensitive data for Pricing or UW purposes.
- Impact on customers and any regulatory impact or reputational damage this may cause.
- Develop and maintain detailed knowledge of emerging trends/technologies/available data within the personal lines Home insurance market, providing consult and input into project work of the team and wider Pricing and UW department when required; including but not limited to:
- Climate Change and Geographical Risk
- Building materials and methods
- Emerging/periodic trends
- Use of data from other UW adjacent areas – eg counter fraud specific data sources such as the CIFAS database for UW/Pricing.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of and advise on upcoming, potential, and historic regulatory changes impacting the UW of the personal lines motor insurance market – including but not limited to:
- Insurance market specific legislation referencing Pricing/UW – eg FCA market study
- Broader Insurance legislation – eg IDD, Consumer Insurance Act
- Broader legislation impacting insurance – EU/UK equalities legislation. GDPR,
- Develop and maintain relevant internal relationships pertaining to the above – eg Counter Fraud, Claims etc
- Develop and maintain relevant relationships with relevant third parties pertaining to the above.
- Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders across the business, providing consult, and where required, input to projects requiring Underwriting representation.
- Build and maintain a log of FCGs Underwriting Criteria using this as a basis for ongoing scheduled review of static UW criteria.
- Review and Update FCGs Underwriting control framework for Pricing and UW changes.
- Review, maintain, and suggest improvements to policy wording for FCG insurance products
- Minimum 2:1 degree in a relevant field
- A good level of experience working in a relevant Technical UW or Product Management role for a Home Personal Lines Insurer
- In depth knowledge of the UK Personal Lines Home Insurance Market
- Good knowledge of general insurance pricing techniques and data sources used.
- Good knowledge of motor insurance products and the motor insurance industry
- Broad knowledge and awareness of the regulatory environment pertaining to Pricing and UW for UK personal lines insurance market
- Strong commercial acumen
Your Skills & Behaviours
- Underlying Skills of:
- Strong mathematical skills
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to adopt a logical approach to solving problems
- Strong IT skills (including Excel and ideally programming skills)
- Strong ability to interpret technical documents
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written to a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Proven ability to produce outstanding results based on own initiative
- Demonstrable Behaviours of:
- Logical thinker with solid reasoning ability
- Commercially focused
- Emphasis on attention to detail and accuracy
- Quick learner
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- An organised and pro-active approach
- Aligned to the values of Ambition; Agility; Ownership; Collaboration
So, if you’re up for the challenge and would like to join our vibrant and busy team, we want to hear from you today.
We pride ourselves on being a great place to work. Check out our Glassdoor page to see what our employees think about working here.
What can we do for you?
People first. Always. We’re passionate about our colleagues and know the best people deserve an extraordinary working environment. We owe it to them so that’s what we offer. Our workplaces are energetic, inspirational, supportive. To get a taste of the advantages you’ll enjoy, take a look at all our perks in full here.
Intrigued? Our Talent team can tell you everything you need to know about what we want and what we’re offering, so feel free to get in touch.