We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Underwriting and Assurance Analytics Manager to join our Underwriting team in Haywards Heath, West Sussex.
You'll lead a sub-team of analysts in the production and provision of data driven insights to further the optimisation of the First Central Group (FCG) underwriting footprint and ensure detailed monitoring of underwriting performance from both a technical and commercial perspective.
Designing processes and developing best practice in order to support the delivery of the profit and volume targets of the business, you'll be responsible for combining the industry knowledge from Technical Underwriters with credible statistical analysis to create projects and proposals to improve Underwriting performance controls within FCG.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to:
hold a minimum 2:1 in a numerical undergraduate discipline
have proven experience with analytical programming languages, such as SAS, Python and R
have demonstrable line management experience and extensive experience within the personal lines motor insurance industry
- Develop and nourish the appropriate use of analytical and statistical techniques/models within Underwriting & Assurance to support the iterative optimisation of the Underwriting Footprint
- Create an agreed and understood set of metrics to demonstrate where underwriting intervention is required in order to further the commercial aims of the business. Ensure these metrics form part of all analysis and proposals brought through FCG sign off committees
- Own the quality control and audit of all analysis from within the department ensuring best practice is developed within the team and a process for pre-committee sign off is implemented to ensure high quality output from the Underwriting and Assurance resource.
- Design and develop analytical tools and reporting suites to enable the efficient and accurate operation of ongoing Underwriting Performance Monitoring and Assurance activities in respect of profitability and volume, to identify issues and opportunities from a Pricing & Underwriting perspective that require action. This includes:
- Summarise loss ratio and contribution by rating factor and factor combinations and recommend remedial action to improve account performance
- Deliver expected loss ratio reports and risk indices to other department stakeholders to inform them of aggregate impact of pricing and underwriting activity
- Support the Head of Underwriting & Assurance in the overall business planning and forecasting process, with particular focus on the Underwriting & Pricing strategy scenario modelling
- Daily and weekly tasks taking responsibility for:
- Ensuring techniques and expertise remain up to date within team
- Production of Pricing & Underwriting analysis reports
- Ad hoc project work providing analysis to the Pricing & Underwriting function
- Maintenance of analysis programs written in SAS and other software packages
- Develop new analysis using SAS and other software packages
- Build predictive models where appropriate, using SAS, EMBLEM, Python/R and other software packages
- Lead the team’s production of timely and accurate information for senior management decision-making purposes
- Support Technical Underwriters with analysis and adhoc technical expertise where required
- Assist in ensuring consistency across analytical departments through engagement with peers and agreed processes, QAs and benefit measuring
- Liaise with other departments on data issues, business effects influencing company reports, business processes and operational issues
- Analyse business issues to find solutions to and make recommendations to improve profitability
- Present findings and results in a clear and logical manner; produce written reports
- Provide input and advice into company analysis strategy and the effective implementation of that strategy to meet company requirements
- Create an innovative approach which drives the business forward by introducing new analytical methods, making use of new data sources and producing reporting suites to track performance
- People responsibilities covering:
- Manage, develop & guide analysts within the Underwriting and Assurance Analytics Team ensuring motivated, engaged and high performing staff
- Lead the resource planning and project/task prioritisation to ensure timely production of proposals and supporting analysis
- Own output from the Analytics Team generating credible proposals for approval which are relatable to both a technical and non-technical audience
- Create and seek approval/agreement on SLAs for the provision of wider management reports on a regular basis. Build controls within the team and resource planning to ensure SLAs are met
- Positive manner with ability to communicate well with all colleagues and stakeholders
- Ensure compliance with company and other relevant standards / regulations
Experience & knowledge
- Extensive relevant experience within the personal lines motor insurance industry
- Demonstrable line management experience
- Personal experience with analytical programming languages, such as SAS, Python and R.
- Personal experience with creation and implementation of business projects
- Personal experience with building predictive models using applications such as Emblem, and Python/R.
- Excellent appreciation of General Insurance, preferably personal lines insurance
- Proven ability to produce outstanding results based on own initiative
- Broad knowledge of statistical methods and techniques
- Good knowledge of motor insurance products and the motor insurance industry
- Solid understanding of the business objectives and operations
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum 2:1 in a numerical undergraduate discipline
- Strong mathematical skills
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to adopt a logical approach to solving problems
- Excellent data and statistical analysis skills
- Strong IT skills (including Excel and ideally programming skills)
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Good time management and organisation skills
- Excellent coaching, development and leadership skills
- People and project management skills
- Logical thinker with solid reasoning ability
- Commercially focused
- Emphasis on attention to detail and accuracy
- Quick learner
- Able to transfer skills and knowledge to others
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- An organised and pro-active approach
- Aligned to the values of Ambition; Agility; Ownership; Collaboration
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide a weekly free fruit delivery, discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.