We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an innovative, market-leading insurance company. We protect the things customers love so they can get on with what matters to them in life.
Data drives us. It fuels our outstanding distribution, finance, technology and legal services. Our underwriting skills are built on data expertise; it creates the insights we need to give the right cover to the right customers at the right price. But, it’s the people inside and outside our business that power us. They make us stand out, help us succeed. We’re ambitious. We’re growing. We’ve won awards.
Agile your key strength! Enjoy delivering high quality data outcomes? Fancy making a difference in a company that’s changing insurance for good?
If you’re a fast-paced, ambitious Senior Agile Data Delivery lead, who gets great things done you’ll fit right in here. Working flexibly, you'll spend most of your time working from home, with a day a week in the office (so living close to Haywards Heath, West Sussex would be perfect). But of course, it’s your choice - if you prefer to be in the office more - that's good with us too.
As the Senior Agile Data Delivery Lead (SADDL) your role will be highly focused on the delivery of high-quality data outcomes, setting the pace and driving teams to be efficient and effective in data solution delivery. The SADDL maintains delivery momentum by optimising the flow of work within teams, addressing, and owning the resolution of complicated risks, issues, and dependencies to ensure smooth, timely deliveries, whilst managing stakeholder expectations at all levels.
As the SADDL you’ll bring energy and enthusiasm to create the right environment by removing blockers, and building an environment of trust, self-organisation and ensuring the health and happiness of the teams. You’ll also play a key part in continual improvement which is at the heart of the SADDL role and is seen as the champion of continuous improvement activities, always seeking to reduce waste and increase productivity. We also need somebody who enjoys coaching and mentoring others who can consult with and supports the wider areas of Tech and Data, leading on key initiatives to support FCG in their Agile Journey, they are drivers in the adoption of new ways of working, experiments, and innovative improvements.
We’d love to have you on the team if:
- You can demonstrate extensive experience leading data delivery teams (Business Intelligence or Data Engineering) using agile values, principles, methods, and practices.
- Have strong experience and understanding of various data disciplines (Governance, BI, Analytics etc.), with a track record of being able to communicate effectively with SMEs in those disciplines.
- You enjoy coaching and mentoring others.
- Have experience of building and developing effective Scrum teams
- Have led and implemented agile practices, to include facilitating all events (Planning, Daily Scrum, Review, Retro), and support ‘Scaled Agility’ events such; Program Backlog Refinement, PI Planning, Scrum of Scrums, PO Sync, Inspect and Adapt.
Love data? It’s a match!
- Take primary responsibility for the timely delivery of data product backlog items, driving the product team to achieve committed outcomes.
- Ensure robust, effective delivery plans are in place by executing a continuous approach to planning, forecasting, estimating, managing uncertainty and contingency planning.
- Interface effectively across all parts of the change delivery process (e.g., Release Train Engineers), to ensure effective communication, planning and timely delivery of releases.
- Optimise the flow of work through your own product teams and as part of the overall change delivery process, by effectively managing dependencies, clearing blockers and impediments, and resolving any conflict situations.
- Ensure that the team always have a healthy backlog with an adequate amount of prior prepared items to work on.
- Create a culture within your team of psychological safety, creativity, innovation and high performance, which builds trust and credibility with stakeholders, and has problem solving at its core.
- Through regular reporting and measurement of product team performance, identify opportunities for continual improvement, learning from other product teams across the business.
- Lead the implementation and operation of agile practices into your data product team(s), including facilitating all events (Planning, Daily Scrum, Review, Retro), and support ‘Scaled Agility’ events such; Program Backlog Refinement, PI Planning, Scrum of Scrums, PO Sync, Inspect and Adapt.
- Coach the team and the organisation to work more effectively within an Agile framework and drive increased collaboration across Technology and Data.
Experience & Knowledge
- Extensive experience leading data delivery teams (Business Intelligence or Data Engineering) using agile values, principles, methods, and practices.
- Extensive experience of having delivered transformational data initiatives, demonstrating a deep understanding of the subject matter.
- Extensive experience with Agile techniques such as User Story Mapping, Splitting User stories, Creation and maintenance of backlogs, Continuous Integration, Pair Programming, TDD, Automated Testing in a data delivery context.
- Extensive experience of building and developing effective Scrum teams.
- Strong experience and understanding of various data disciplines (Governance, BI, Analytics etc.), with a track record of being able to communicate effectively with SMEs in those disciplines.
- Experience with Scaled Agile and the associated frameworks such as SAFe and LeSS.
- Experience with planning and delivery tools such as Burn-ups, TAKT Time and Monte Carlo Theory.
- Experience in Coaching, Mentoring and Teaching others in the practical application of Agile practices and frameworks.
- Solid experience in the use of Agile tools, such as Azure DevOps, Confluence, Miro etc.
- Knowledge of a structured yet agile approach to development.
Skills and Qualifications
- Advanced Certification in Scrum – A-CSM / PSM2 or similar.
- Outstanding communication skills both verbal and written.
- Outstanding Facilitation skills both virtually and ‘in-person’.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Excellent skills and knowledge of situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
- Willing to take accountability for delivery.
- Passionate about delivered data solutions with agility.
- Focused and results driven with an emphasis on attention to delivery, detail, and accuracy.
- Displays a growth mindset.
- Self-motivated and highly energetic – infects others with enthusiasm.
- A flexible pro-active approach and positive attitude.
- Willing to own, run and drive through improvements.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Passionate about mentoring, coaching, and getting the best out of people.
Are you the person we’re looking for? If so, we look forward to hearing from you. Apply today!
We pride ourselves on being a great place to work. Check out our Glassdoor page to see what our employees think about working here.
What can we do for you?
People first. Always. We’re passionate about our colleagues and know the best people deserve an extraordinary working environment. We owe it to them so that’s what we offer. Our workplaces are energetic, inspirational, supportive. To get a taste of the advantages you’ll enjoy, take a look at all our perks in full here.
Intrigued? Our Talent team can tell you everything you need to know about what we want and what we’re offering, so feel free to get in touch.